Sunday 9 January 2011

Gesture

4 years ago I sat in Sydney Cricket Ground watching as England got their arses kicked to the tune of a 5-0 Ashes whitewash.

Although most of my Australian friends were fairly sympathetic, one in particular decided to taunt me for the rest of my trip by gesturing at me with his hands and mouthing the score. Five fingers would go up, followed by the fingers and thumb shaped into an O as he soundlessly uttered "Five Nil!"

In 2009, when England retook the Ashes, I sent him message: "I'll admit that 5-0 is still a better scoreline," I said. "But 2-1 is a better hand gesture".

Sadly trying to turn "a record three innings defeats" is going to require someone fluent in sign-language to sort out.

Do you get the feeling I'm a bit fixated on the cricket at the moment? I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment