Thursday 14 April 2011

Over-Stretched Generosity

Last Friday my Dad passed away. Although we tried to get him home to care for him, he was never quite well enough to be moved and died in hospital. The same day I was due to complete a Swimathon in aid of Marie Curie, an organisation that helps people care for their terminally ill loved ones at home, just as we had hoped to do.

Because of that association, I travelled back up to London and did the swim. When I returned home, I was delighted to find that my wonderful brother Johnny had forwarded my sponsorship link to his own Facebook page, and his equally wonderful friends had doubled my sponsorship in a few hours.

Subsequently my brother wanted to do even more. He took a fantastic picture of a daffodil that looked very much like the Marie Curie logo, and entered it into a hipstamatic competition, pledging to add a pound to my sponsorship for every vote the picture got.

The last count was 927. This might just be a little more than he had in mind.

To that end I’m making my own last plea – my sponsorship is still open, so if you sponsor me now I will a) match it* and b) release John from paying the equivalent amount so that he doesn’t end up eating dust in the street.

http://my.artezglobal.com/personalPage.aspx?registrationID=337278&langPref=en-CA

* within reason. See, I’m learning lessons from my big brother, just like any little brother should. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment