Tuesday 10 April 2012

Hairstyle

Yes, I'm an inconsistent blogger. Probably stylistically as well as in frequency. But I have been a bit preoccupied this year, often with things with which I shall not bore you, but sometimes with the fun and frolics of the featre.

Waaay back in the second age of middle earth (possibly February), in response to a friend's prodding I auditioned for KDC's "Measure for Measure". Although I'd only seen one KDC production - not one, I'm afraid - to inspire massive enthusiasm - I also know a lot of their active people through association with other groups, so when they announced the other plays in the same season as M4M I kept an open mind and was tempted by the sound of a new play. Since I was attending auditions anyway, I thought I'd try out.

Yes, I'm playing Tony "Demon Eyes"Blair himself.
I've not performed in a great deal of new writing. Actually, I'd not performed in any new writing. I'm a picky son of a bitch, and have been ever since my association with Finchley Youth Theatre resulted in my involvement in the truly execrable "Light in the Village", a play that could not be rescued by a future Eastenders actress and a stylised comedy rape scene (though it did give me further opportunity to confuse acting with shouting).

Since then I've installed an early warning radar system in my brain to weed out shit. I've probably got it set to slightly over sensitive, which is why I've been in so much Shakespeare lately (it's a safe bet). Not having done much (any) new writing, I was more than a little surprised to get through the read through without any red lights flashing and sirens wailing.

My goodness, I thought - could it be that this is actually quite good? So I went for it.

Two month's later, it's opening night. The result of the creative hard yards of three of KDC's finest is "The War of the Waleses", an innovative and fascinating response to the challenges of the RSC's "Open Stages" project. It's the story of the messy public divorce of Charles and Di - obviously the Waleses* of the title - along with the political and media context of the times and the impact upon them. And to RSC it all up, it's told in the style and structure of a Shakespeare history play. But with added newsreaders.

And it's enormously exciting.  The cast is supremely talented, the Director/Writer brilliant (and - best of all - not given to enforcing lengthy and irritating warm-ups) and I get a seriously kick-ass speech. I'm still a bit nervous about the audience reaction - a 'Shakespeare' history play about the mid-nineties could just baffle them - but we've done everything possible to invite them into our quirky little world and make them welcome. If they're willing to be entertained, they surely will be.

On the off chance that anyone reads this, you can get tickets and info here. We're on till Saturday 14th April 2012 (for archive divers).


Finally, I have arranged a "Blaircut" for this play that leaves me looking more follicularly foolish than at any time since, appropriately, the mid-nineties. It's worth coming just to see that.  OK, no it isn't, but it's going to splendid anyway.

* try saying that without the urge to add "My preciousssss..." to it.

More info: http://warofthewaleses.wordpress.com/2012/04/10/all-the-worlds-a-stage/

2 comments:

  1. I needn't have worried. They bloody loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just realised that this was the second time "hairstyle" has come up as a random word. I normally check, and I've never spotted a duplicate before. But the hairstyle I wrote about was different, so that's all right.

    ReplyDelete