Sunday 4 November 2012

Modification

I was very relieved to hear that the Government's badger cull has been delayed for a bit, while highly paid officials decide whether or not it really is a fucking stupid idea. I was not alone in fearing that roving bands of psychopaths with a license to kill things with distinctive streaks of grey hair could lead to a bad end for people of my age.

Of course, unlike the poor old badger, hacking their TB'd lungs into a silk handkerchief as they write poems of loss and despair in their under-siege setts, I can very easily turn to a range of products to disguise myself and throw off the marauding gangs, though I should probably be more careful: a recent habit of going for reddish brown means I put myself at danger of being trampled by horses and eaten by beagles from an illegal hunt.

Dyeing one's hair is a delicate business. As modifications go it's relatively minor - compare painting Just for Men into your stubble to having buttock implants, and suddenly it doesn't seem quite so embarrassing - but I do worry about where it will lead. Assuming my hair doesn't all fall out one day (the genetic jury is out on that one) I don't want to run the risk of ending up like Paul McCartney, looking like my own waxwork replica that's been left to close the radiator overnight. Judging exactly when to stop covering your grey is like to be as complicated as working out when to stop wearing jeans or start becoming a fan of charismatic orchestra conductors.

But at the moment, while I'm relatively confident my skin's elasticity is not such that combining it with dark hair would cause me to look like a victim of a slow-working alien disintegration ray, there's no way I'm allowing grey to have its way. If my hair would just fade respectably, that would be one thing. Instead, my hair is performing some sort of crazy art experiment on my head, a follicular abstract project of uncertain ambition. It's latest triumph is a neat circle of grey just above my right ear, a colourless crop circle that bears no relation to any of the other grey hairs around it. I live in fear that I'll wake up and find that the greys have painted 666 on my hair with impressive neatness.

I might get lucky. Maybe the grand plan is for my hair to delicately outline the location of the unrecovered Brink's-MAT gold bullion. I'll be staring in the mirror with horror, aghast at the salt-and-pepper disaster on my head, when I'll suddenly realise that I'm gazing at a set of coordinates and a crudely drawn picture of Hayward's Heath. I'll race south with a shovel as the coordinates lead me to a Sussex wood, and just as I strike the unmistakable feel of metal buried the soil, I'll be shot and killed by the Government's badger hunters, like the end of Nostromo but with omnivorous mammals.

I think, on balance, I'll keep dyeing it for a while. It's just safer.  

No comments:

Post a Comment