Sunday 3 October 2010

Mileage

I'm running out of steam it would appear. All down to a shocking lack of commitment. I keep telling myself that I'm just too busy and a bit tired and therefore can;t keep up, but it's all shocking self-delusion and the simple fact is that I'm a lazy bugger.

I always wanted to be a writer. Much more than I wanted to be an actor, singer or cricketer, and certainly much more than I wanted to be an office worker. But like almost everyone else the job that pays the bills takes over the rest of your life. Why else is the small talk protocol to ask "so what do you do" so early on in a conversation?

"So, what do you do?"
"Well, sometimes I eat. Tea, breakfast, lunch - that sort of thing. Occasionally a Mars bar, but not so much since my last tooth fell out."
"No, I mean, what do you do for a living?"
"Well, I wouldn't be living if I didn't eat. Excuse me, but you seem a bit dim."

The Onion has a particularly nice take on it here

But I shall not give up! Oh, not me. The purpose of this blog is to keep me writing, so that eventually I start writing properly. You've got to keep your hand in. So I can't give up. Plenty of mileage in this yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment