Tuesday 8 February 2011

Rewriting

As you can probably tell from the listless prose and occasionally hideous spelling on Trampling, I'm not a big fan off rewriting. Hell, I'm not even a big fan of proof reading. This is because - incontrovertibly - I am not an artist, or a craftsman, or any other kind of romantic classification that suggests someone applying inspiration to the polishing of well-balanced phrases. No, I'm a whimsical stream of consciousness waffler, somehow blagging it and hoping no-one notices.

Rewriting, for me, evokes the following scenario:

Me: [saying something - it doesn't really matter what]
Other: That's spot on. Let me write that down. Now, say that again.
Me: Say what?
Other: What you just said.
Me: I have no idea what I just said.
Other: You must have! It was brilliant!
Me: Really? What did I say?

If it was at all good the first time round, I won't make it better by fiddling with it. And if it was shit the first time, it's probably best just to forget about it.

(by the way, I know all this is self-indulgent bollocks, and am fully aware of the art of killing one's baby. Metaphorical baby-killing, that is, before anyone calls the authorities.)

No comments:

Post a Comment