Tuesday 18 May 2010

Poet

14 May 2010

I am not a poet.

This is probably fairly obvious if you have actually had the patience to read any of my previous prosaic ramblings. I don't really read poetry, and I certainly haven't tried to write very much of it, especially not since I stopped being a lonely love-lorn teenager.

I'm not entirely sure what natural imperative drives teenagers to wrote poetry when they're depressed. Why does it even occur to them? Are there 14 year olds from amazonian tribes uncontacted by modern society that get rejected by the chief's daughter and inscribe their pain and longing into the bark of a Gwahu tree, and tattoo it with ink gained by squeezing the ribcage of the rainbow Splillip Frog until it vomits on their wooden stylus? It seems likely. But why?

I suspect that it's just because teenagers are fucking lazy, and poems are generally short. If poetry didn't exist they wouldn't transcribe their pain in the form of a three part Proustian epic. They'd probably just have another wank.

No comments:

Post a Comment