Tuesday 27 April 2010

Symbol

22 April 2010 (?)

It's very harsh of life to intervene with a writing challenge. I've been cast in a production of Don Juan in Soho, an hilarious updating of Moliere's classic by Patrick Marber. It's great to be involved, but unfortunately I have been slightly misled on the rehearsal schedule. I was promised 8 weeks with 4 rehearsals a week. Instead, I have 9 weeks of 5, and sometimes 6. I'm not quite sure where I'm going to find the time to learn the sodding words.

But far be it from me to shirk from a challenge. Well, actually it's very like me to shirk a challenge, but I'm really trying to turn over a new leaf. I don't know what kind of leaf it will be though. When I was younger (a phrase rapidly becoming a cliche) I thought it referred to leaves off trees. Was never quite sure why turning the new leaf was a good things, since when new leaves "turned" it meant they were now old leaves and likely to drop off any time. Having clocked its symbolic link to stationery rather than chlorophyll I feel less forlornly bewildered about the whole thing.

So, I'll keep trying. But fitting in 40 hours of office work, 6 hours of cricket and 17-20 hours of rehearsing is going to get a bit like doing community service in an orange boiler-suit.

How is it when life gets exciting you don't have time for one?

No comments:

Post a Comment